Currently birth certificates are available in the DeLand branch of the Tax Collector at 123 W. Indiana Avenue. Since birth records are required for some transactions conducted in the Office of the Tax Collector, the Office has partnered with the Florida Department of Health to provide birth certificates. Consolidating this service with others that require identification makes it easier for citizens to complete transactions in the same branch.
Obtaining a Florida birth certificate
Step 1: Picture ID
You must bring one valid and current picture identification (ID) to apply for a Florida birth certificate.
If you are a parent requesting a copy of your child’s Florida birth certificate, you must bring your valid and current picture ID. Acceptable forms of picture ID include:
- Driver’s license
- State identification card
- Military identification card
Step 2: Eligibility
Determine your eligibility (relationship) to receive a Florida birth certificate. You must meet one (1) of the following criteria:
- Be the child named on the Florida birth certificate and be 18 years of age or older
- Be the recorded or listed parent of the person named on the Florida birth certificate
Step 3: Certificate holder information
Be prepared to provide information about the person named on the Florida birth certificate:
- Full name of person at birth and any subsequent legal name changes
- Date of birth
- City or county of birth
- Mother’s full name including her maiden surname
- Father’s full name (if his name is on the record)
Step 4: Applicant information
Be prepared to provide information about the person obtaining the Florida birth certificate:
- Full name
- Relationship to person named on the certificate (father, mother, self, etc.)
- Mailing address (include city, state and zip code)
- Daytime telephone number
Reminder: If applicant is self and is at least 18 years of age, the applicant must complete this application and provide valid photo identification. Acceptable forms of identification are: driver’s license, state identification card, passport, and/or military identification card.
Step 5: Make an appointment for faster service
Appointments are not required but are encouraged. Click here to make an appointment.
Fees & payment information
- The Tax Collector provides certified birth certificates at the same cost as the Florida Department of Health (FDOH).
The cost is $21.25 for the first copy ($15 Florida Department of Health birth certificate fee + $6.25 Volusia Tax Collector administrative fee). Additional copies of the same birth certificate are $8.
- Checks, cash, money orders, Visa, MasterCard or Discover are acceptable forms of payment. Current and valid photo ID is required. Acceptable forms of ID are driver license, state identification card, passport and/or military identification card.
- Please note that there is a 2.6% convenience fee charged by our third-party payment processor, Grant Street Group, for all credit card payments and a $1.95 fee for debit card payments.
- The Florida Department of Health and Florida Tax Collector branches only issue birth certificates for Florida births.
- Certificates available for all Florida births 1917 to present.
- Certificates are a computer generated copy of the original record.
- Certificates accepted as legal proof of birth and citizenship.
- Florida birth certificates may still be obtained through the Florida Department of Health at one of three locations in Volusia County: Daytona Beach, New Smyrna Beach and Orange City.
Not born in Florida?
For information on how to order birth certificates from other states,
click here to be redirected to the CDC's "Where to Write for Vital Records" page.