Name changes

If you legally change your name, you must update your name on both your driver’s license or ID and vehicle registration within 30 days after changing your name. By updating a new name/address on your driver’s license, the new name/address will automatically update on your electronic title, however, a printed title will still reflect your previous name/address until a new title is applied for using an Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration (HSMV form 82040). If there is a lien on a paper title, the lienholder may not allow a new title to be printed. It is permissible to leave the amended name/address unchanged on the printed title because the department vehicle ownership record will be updated when you update your driver information.

Name changes may only be completed in person. Customers cannot change their name on their driver’s license or ID online.

Immigrant and nonimmigrant VISA holders

Customers who have legally changed their name by marriage, divorce or court order must update their USCIS documents to reflect their name change before they can update their name on their driver's license or ID.

Please note

How to change your name on your driver’s license or ID

Change Your Name in Person

Follow these steps to change your name on your driver’s license or ID.

Name changes must first be made with the Federal Social Security Administration in order to have your name updated on your driver’s license or ID.

To change your name with Social Security, you must present documents proving your legal name change and identity. If you are a U.S. citizen, you must also present documents proving your U.S. citizenship. Only original documents or copies certified by the issuing agency are accepted.

To prove your legal name change, you must show one of the following documents.

  • Marriage document;
  • Divorce decree;
  • Certificate of Naturalization showing a new name; or
  • Court order for a name change.

To prove your identity, you must show one unexpired document showing your name, identifying information, and photograph, such as:

  • State-issued U.S. driver’s license;
  • State-issued ID; or
  • Valid U.S. Passport.

To prove your U.S. citizenship, you must show one of the following:

  • U.S. birth certificate;
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
  • Valid U.S. Passport;
  • Certificate of Naturalization; or
  • Certificate of Citizenship.

More information on changing your name with Social Security.

Please allow 24 to 48 hours after completing the name change with the Social Security Administration.

Appointments are not required but they are recommended.


What to bring

REAL ID compliance is indicated by a star on the upper right-hand corner of your Florida driver's license or ID.

1. Are you real ID compliant?

2. Name Change Documents

Click here for Clerk of Court locations in Volusia County.