What to bring

Document requirements vary depending on whether or not the customer is currently REAL ID compliant in Florida, which is indicated by a star in the upper right-hand corner of the Florida driver's license or ID card, and their immigration/ residency status. Click on a section below to expand information.

I need to...

You must bring documents that validate your identity, Social Security Number (SSN) and Volusia County residential address. For most customers, those documents are:

  1. your birth certificate or passport and
  2. your social security card and
  3. two proofs of Volusia County residential address.

Click on each document category below to see the acceptable forms of documentation

WAIT! Has your name changed?

If you have legally changed your name by marriage, divorce or court order, you must submit an original or certified U.S. marriage certificate(s), U.S. divorce document(s) or other court order(s). Copies are not accepted unless certified by the issuing authority.

Marriage certificates must be recognized by the state of Florida. Generally, marriage certificates issued in Florida or another state in accordance with the respective laws of those states are recognized by the State of Florida. Church-issued marriage certificates are not accepted. Click here to learn more about name changes.

One proof of identification

U.S. Citizens & Permanent Residents

An original or certified copy of one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate (hospital certificates are not accepted)
  • Valid U.S. passport or passport card
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization, form N-550 or form N-570
  • Certificate of Citizenship, form N-560 or form N-561

Notice to Puerto Rican Customers

  • Puerto Rican customers must present a birth certificate that was issued after July 1, 2010


An original or certified copy of one of the following documents:

  • Valid alien registration receipt card (green card, form I-551)
  • I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94
  • Immigration judge’s order, containing the customer’s A-number (admissions number), granting asylum
  • I-797, containing the customer’s A-number, stating the customer has been granted asylum
  • I-797, or another form from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), with the customer’s A-number, stating the customer’s application for refugee status is approved


An original or certified copy of one of the following documents:

  • Valid employment authorization card issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) form I-688B or I-766
  • Non-expired proof of nonimmigrant classification provided by DHS form I-94 with required supporting attachment(s). If a customer is unsure of the required documentation, they should bring all United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documentation with them. I-94s must be accompanied by a valid passport with a date of entry stamp. Certain classifications require additional documentation. Some examples are F-1 and M-1 classification must be accompanied by an I-20; J-1 or J-2 designation must be accompanied by a DS2019; and Refugee, asylee and parolee classifications must be accompanied by additional documentation
  • I-571 travel document/refugee travel permit
  • I-512 parole letter accepted
  • Immigration judge’s order granting asylum or cancellation of removal


Please be advised:

  • Documents must be valid for more than 30 days from the date of issuance.
  • Non-U.S. citizens applying for an original driver license will be issued a 60-day temporary paper permit without a photo and a receipt.
  • Non-U.S. citizens applying for an ID card will be issued a receipt.
  • Upon identity and legal status verification, a driver license or ID card will be issued within 60 days and mailed to the address on the driver record.
  • The driver license or ID card will be issued for the period of time specified on the USCIS document, up to a maximum of four years.
  • If lawful status or identification is not verified, a denial of issuance letter will be mailed to the customer.Delinquent taxes can be only paid in full with certified funds.

Social Security card (copies are not accepted)

Customers must submit TWO different documents with their Florida residential address (printouts or faxes of these documents are acceptable). We will no longer accept out-of-state or U.S. territory addresses for applicants obtaining a Florida Class E license or identification card.

Customers who do not have any of the above documents in their name may provide two proofs of residential address from a parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom they reside and a Certification of Address form.

Acceptable Documents
  • Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement
  • Florida Voter Registration Card
  • Florida Vehicle Registration or Title
  • Florida Boat Registration or Title
  • Certification of Address
  • A utility bill or hook up/work order
  • Automobile Payment Booklet
  • Selective Service card
  • Medical or health card
  • Medical bill
  • Homeowner’s insurance policy or bill
  • Automobile insurance policy or bill
  • Educational institution transcript forms
  • Professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.
  • W-2 form or 1099 form
  • Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status
  • A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or half-way house verifying that the customer resides at the shelter address
  • Mail from financial institutions; including checking, savings, credit card statements or investment account statements
  • Mail from Federal, State, County or City government agencies (including city and county agencies)
  • Personal mail that does not list the recipient as “occupant”. Example: Magazines, journals, etc.
  • Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) Registration form completed by the local sheriff’s department or Department of Corrections

All CLP or CDL applicants must present two proofs of Florida residential address in their name. Applicants can present two proofs from List A or one proof from List A and one proof from List B.

Documents must have the name of the person applying for the driver license/ID and the full residential address. It cannot be a PO box or a service address.
You need to submit two different documents as proof of residency. Examples of qualifying documents include:

  • Mortgage agreement;
  • Florida voter registration card;
  • Utility bill;
  • Selective service card;
  • Vehicle registration.

All CLP or CDL applicants must present two proofs of Florida residential address in their name. Applicants can present two proofs from List A or one proof from List A and one proof from List B.

Name changes can happen for many reasons including marriage, divorce, adoption, and identity change.

Social Security

Before changing your name on your driver license, change your name with Social Security. Please allow 24 to 48 hours after completing the name change with the Social Security Administration. Prepare your documents.


Original documents - not copies - are required. Original documents have a stamp or a seal. If you have had a name change at any point in your lifetime, you will need to show documentation of each name change. For example, if you have been married/divorced and your name changed each time, you need documentation for each change no matter how much time has passed.

Please review all of the new driver license & ID requirements here.

Florida Tax Collectors Association